[CAUT] Baldwin Accujust

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Apr 28 10:53:36 PDT 2009

In theory the Baldwin soundboards were crowned using what I would call a hybrid
system. The 72' crown radius on the ribs was chosen for reasons having nothing
to do with the piano or its acoustics (look in the archives--I've gone into this
before) and so, yes, they were lightly crowned. Too light, as it turns out. So
it was also supposed to be ribbed at a moisture content of 5% which, in most
climates, would give it just a bit of compression crown. Assuming the MC in the
panel was held to the right amount at the time it board was ribbed. Which it
probably was at least some of the time.

These boards were never intended to be heavily loaded. Nor was it ever expected
that they would be continuously field adjusted to "reset" string bearing. Of
course it was also expected that string bearing would be "properly" set by the
factory. Which probably did happen some of the time.

As may be, if the field technician continually resets string bearing the board
will (sooner rather than later) go flat and then negative. You are all free to
do this with your pianos if you wish but I'd not if it were mine. Keep those
bearing settings light or it will go negative. Actually, if it were mine I'd
just put a new board in the thing, crown it a bit more and be done with it.

As Ron points out, the possibility of field setting the string bearing was never
the intent of the system. It was a manufacturing expediency. It made possible
the planing of the bridges to a preset height. With a preset bridge height the
plate could also be set to some predetermined height and initial string bearing
then set to the bridge with small elevation variations of the plate being
relatively irrelevant. Still not a bad idea. The fact that the vertical hitch
also has certain acoustical benefits through the low bass is simply an extra, if
unintended, bonus.

ddf
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant