[CAUT] Baldwin Accujust

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 28 07:26:10 PDT 2009

> Interesting that during the video it was mentioned that you never have to
> rebuild a Baldwin due to lack of downbearing. I wonder, is the idea to just
> keep adding more downbearing via the strings  even though the crown of the
> board may become negative in the process over the years? I don't think that
> I would ever do it that way. My 2 cents.
>
> Greg Newell

Adding bearing later seems to be a nearly universal first
assumption, but that's not what the system is for. Gerry asked
about the crown on these boards. They're rib crowned at 72'
(22M) radius, and lightly built. The system is to allow the
plate height to be quickly and easily set, and the designed
minimal bearing to be set quickly and accurately. The only
thing that would make bearing change over the years is the
soundboard failing to hold up the bridge to maintain it. So
yes, adding bearing later as "needed" will push the board into
negative crown.
Ron N