[CAUT] Soundboard Weighting

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Tue Apr 28 09:50:03 PDT 2009

Thanks to all for responding. "Sousdboard" sheesh, always appreciate that
kind of correction. The links to the Borland thesis and the Baldwin patent
will be good reading (and Del's old post too), as much as reading can aid
this type of learning process.

The purpose of my question was really to see what others have done, not so
much to attempt a learning shortcut as to share thoughts. I have done some
of my own experimenting to solve some obvious tenor/bass break problems. But
as I keep listening to these beasts I am beginning to hear more board and
less hammer, if that is possible, and more subtle issues. And so I'm
spending time sorting out the mass and stiffness "equation." Today I'll cut
my 1 1/8" diameter brass rod into pieces so I can experiment. I have a
couple S&S Ds and a couple M&H BBs that are a regular part of my clientele
and which are available for experimentation. Both of the BBs are fairly rich
in the bass, but one continues this richness much further up the scale,
while the other is, for lack of a better word, thinner or lacking in
fundamental or some such. So for this one I'm thinking that adding brass
might slow down the board some and make it more responsive to the
fundamental.

More later as I have time to see what actually happens, instead of
speculating.

Thanks again.

Alan