[CAUT] Pizza party

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon Apr 27 11:07:04 PDT 2009

Zeno -
The responses, collectively, portray the multi-faceted nature of the
problem: human behavior, institutional behavior, egos,
hunger....etc.  Approaching this problem will reveal as much as
anything about the particular nature of your institution and your
political skills.
First, they are not your pianos.  You can't take it personally.  If
you have no support from the Chair or higher, the only sure result is
a job opening at BC.  With that support you have some fraction of a
chance, but, as Alan Crane said:
>We maintain that the students and faculty (and visitors) have better
>things to
>do than to make judgement calls as to what items are, and are not,
>appropriate for placement on expensive instruments.
>If there's nothing on the piano, there's no problem; and that's that.

This means that any policy must have some relationship to the real
world behaviors.  For example, if it's accepted practice for
students, or faculty to eat or drink (coffee, water, etc) in rooms
where there are pianos, then David Ilvedson's possibly facetious post:
>So would little tray like table in a piano studio not be
>possible.   I'd like to see that and a waste basket in each studio
>along with a fake video camera in the corner...I guess we might as
>well put the hand cleaner on the wall with paper towels while we at it...  '-]

might be very much the direction to go; that is, provide the
amenities that will support the behaviors you are trying to
cultivate.  (By the way, that includes coat hooks.)

If such behaviors are to be prohibited, make sure it's the Dean or
Department Head who spells it out to the faculty, as it pertains both
to their own behavior and to their role as enforcer.  In these modren
times, there can be no double standard - one for faculty, another for
students.   If there is to be a Faculty revolt, it should be directed
at them, not you.

A reasonably good time to enact any significant changes in the
prevailing behaviors would be at the initiation of a new facility.

On the other hand, you could have fun with the possibility of
developing a community-wide fear of you, the enforcer.  That's a
different kind of experiment.

Regards -
David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY