[CAUT] CAUT appropriate

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Apr 26 08:48:42 PDT 2009

     >Now having said that, if someone is daring enough to take the
    initiative to start a new list from scratch that is more difficult
    for outsiders and goof balls to >get onto, I'm all for it.  We would
    need to think of a creative way to keep the wrong  people out, however.

     >Rob Goodale, RPT
     >UNLV tech, Las Vegas

Oh this is very easy to do... Yahoo groups are full of exclusive little
groups of like minded people who are quite sure their way of thinking is
the "correct" way, and that there are plenty of the "wrong kind" of
people that need to be kept out.

The problem with pianotech, and pops up here from time to time, is the
simple lack of basic tolerance for ideas other then ones own. And there
are far to many one liners either patting someone on the shoulder, or
quipping back and forth.  I personally was/am always amazed when someone
posts a religious or political comment and gets bowled over for being
off topic or entering an area of subject matter that can be too
provocative whilst nothing is said to posts that regularly abound on
piano tech that are outright and purposefully insulting... either to
other persons or to manufacturers or the countless nonsensical
quippings.  Its why I've set my globals to not receive posts. I just
browse through the daily archives.

A list that would function without peoples egos getting involved ??!
That seems about as likely as the world of pianists suddenly deciding to
turn their backs on Steinways and decide that any ol piano in reasonable
shape is as good as any.  Wishful thinking at best.

Still... I like both lists even so... in spite of everything a bit of
sifting always yields some nice information daily.  And I do like the
contact I have with my fellow technicians.... who all each in their own
way share a common passion for the instrument that is the piano.

Cheers
RicB