[CAUT] Nichtgebunden

wbis290 wbis290 at aol.com
Sat Apr 25 15:53:17 PDT 2009

Hi Ben,

You are welcome. It seems that many are making you a target for ranting and raving for no reason.

God bless

Bill Balmer, RPT
University of Findlay and Ohio Northern University

In a message dated 04/25/09 14:16:43 US Eastern Standard Time, sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu writes:
     Thank you a dozen times over Bill Balmer!
   I recently started posting, and fortunately have a personality that tends to be here now, forgets about yesterday, not hold grudges, and also understand that patience is the contrary virtue of anger, something people on this list need to have more of when engaging in a conversational development to understanding the piano. This can be difficult when the piano we talk about is not in front of us, and at a place where everyone has different typing abilities. I can only assume that someone held to be a good piano player like Fred Sturm will tend to write posts that take more time to get through than the hen peckers, as that the practiced piano player has an advantage at the computer keyboard. My feeling is that if this is dragging on, stop reading here, for this and every post. Write ‘till your hearts content.
   I was sort of hoping for something like a dialectical method, similar to what is described here: http://www.sfcp.org.uk/socratic_dialogue.htm

   Moreover on Nichtgebunden, Fred Sturm stated,
“I appreciate your more succinct statement, though I continue to be baffled concerning its relevance to any conversation anyone has been having on this list”
   Actually Fred it was you that discussed the chronological origins of piano tuning on the 11th of April, and began sharing some of your research under the heading Schubert temperament redux, I believe.
   You went on to state:
Perhaps you can find another, more appropriate forum. There is a tuning forum, I think called TUNING-L, maybe in Yahoo groups, that might be up your alley.
I do not understand how discussion of tuning could in any way be considered irrelevant in your eyes in light of how much you discuss it on this list. To some extent I only continued your thought, and from your posts, I can understand why you might consider what I stated an oversimplification. However, in the conservatory environment, the account Forkel gives about Bach definitely has the potential to put the piano technician in the position to achieve something like tenure, a source that however important yours are will appeal far more to the musicians around College And University Technicians. Tenure was created in part for the concept of academic freedom, and by removing the possibility of being fired, gives the institution the capacity to distance themselves from the convictions of the Professor, for instance, if he publishes a controversial book. Are you against that, and a piano technician having it?

   Don Mannino stated:
“Is English not your first language? Asides from the heading of your message being German (unbound? the connection with your long post seems a bit tenuous), your writing syntax indicates that English has perhaps been recently learned.  Is this correct?”

   I am afraid my footnotes may or may not have appeared with the original post; for that, I am sorry. On the subject of language, translations have the potential of being misleading, and sometimes it is only possible to use the original word as the translator of Forkel did in an English version; hence, the heading. It seemed like the most appropriate word for reasons that can be understood only be reading the post.
   A recent post dated 4/3/09 I cut and pasted at the bottom by Henry Nicolaides led to a discussion about a translation of Carl-Johan Forss, and whether shift or replace would be better to convey the idea of a new pin-block installation. Though too unfamiliar with the book, and most of all, the original word translated, I do think in the case of a pin-block that shift could be more appropriate in some ways. What would be shifted, however, would be the plate, and then possibly with that, the string height, which would change the way the piano responds to action geometry, and if the bridge is not modified to match modification of the plate height due to shifting the pin block, a change in downbearing, modifying the appropriate level of the string on Baldwin accu-just hitch pin. Shift would convey the meaning better to some extent.
   It is apparent from following posts on the subject that the same translation is used for replacing other action parts, and in the case of those, I do not know if shift would be better in some ways. It would be interesting to know the original word; perhaps it would be more appropriate.
   The Stanwood guys modify specs to conform with those of the factory, which frequently deviates from them. I suppose you could do so with the pin-block assuming one has enough knowledge.