[CAUT] How do you spell fraud?

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 25 07:12:34 PDT 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Skolnik
  To: caut at ptg.org
  Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:39 AM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] How do you spell fraud?

  If Craig Newmark is not prepared to change his business approach after recent events in Boston, this is not likely to garner attention from C-list administrators.  While I doubt that this Las Vegas caper is a case of simple ignorance, it would, be interesting to know  what violations of either Craig's List rules or actual law might be involved here.

  David Skolnik
  Hastings on Hudson, NY

I'm a newbie to Craig's List, but have lurked a time or two in search of a piano I can use for resale or rental.  Yesterday, I was drawn to an ad for a "piano teacher must sell Baldwin baby grand $2800".  I decided to contact the individual, only to find it was more or less a bait and switch -- someone who does teach piano, but also "restores" artist level instruments.  So, apparently, deception is the rule if you want to sell something on Craig's List.

Par for the course in the piano industry I suppose, considering the warehouse piano sale approach that has created the unfortunate side-effect that people have been misled to believe they're supposed to wait for the annual "university piano sales" or they won't get a good deal.  There's actually a greater likelihood of getting the raw end of the deal at those sales, and stuck with something you really didn't want in the first place.

Tanner