[CAUT] The Steinway Cult thing.

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 25 07:00:06 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Sturm" <fssturm at unm.edu>
> But the moral I draw from the story is that this customer - and as  much
> of the public at large as possible - needs to be exposed to well- prepped
> pianos.

Oddly, the piano Ric is describing sounds like it fits the description of a
"good old Steinway" that the older musicians I've worked for seem to have a
high level of fondness for.  The more worn and out of regulation, the better
they seem to like it.  Broken in, they call it.

If you mess with it, you're making it like new again.  It then has to be
broken in again, a process which could take 40 years to get it back the way
they liked it.

My own perception is that that is likely what they were exposed to in
college (maintenance traditionally being grossly underfunded), and developed
a fondness for.

Jeff Tanner