[CAUT] The Steinway Cult thing.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Apr 25 04:06:50 PDT 2009

Hi Fred.

I dont think in this case there is much of anything to point at
concerning the <<restore>> job itself.  Just about every tech I've ever
met has put a set of hammers on a grand without doing the weigh off.  I
find it hard to fault that given what we are <<taught>> by various
resources around the globe... tho with Stanwoods influence this is
changing.  The only other thing related to the <<restore>> itself has
too do with the pin height... which is much more a problem for the tuner
then the user.  No, most of the acute issues with this piano have to do
with the fact that its been used heavily for 10-12 years and is
naturally enough very much out of regulation and operating with very
worn parts.

What a real restoration consists of is really another discussion
anyways... and we could easily go there in this <<Steinway cult>>
context to be sure. But thats been hashed many times.

Otherwise... I agree very much that if the owner in this case was
presented side by side with two versions of the piano, one as it is and
the other fully prepped, then there would be little doubt as too which
would be preferable and no doubt that a big Ahha light would go on for
the pianist.  And the example, including both setup issues and wear and
tear issues does serve nicely to show how much the name means to
pianists, and how much human psychology seems to be in the game in
general when it comes to an instrument. We can quickly move away from
the Steinway cult theme as such to see how that works in similar fashion
regardless.

In the end tho... I am perhaps a bit less optimistic about how much
influence attempts at <<objectifying>> pianists perceptions will be.
Tho, like you... I try all the time. And am constantly learning how
little I know myself when it comes down to it.... strange life we have
chosen for ourselves really :)

Cheers
RicB