[CAUT] [pianotech] Baldwin Accujust

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Apr 24 08:25:04 PDT 2009

	I'm about to do my first accujust restring this summer (donated L),
and have questions about procedure: the tap down tool I assume is
something on the order of a rod with a hole drilled in it, just above
the size of the pins, and I was thinking of making one of brass. Is
that a good idea? For lifting, I was thinking of a slide hammer of
some sort, rather than prying against the plate (with a wooden
fulcrum), but haven't come up with an easy to make jig to fit around
the pin under the string and pull up. Anyone have such a design? Or is
prying with a coil lifter just fine?
	I was planning on using a Wixey gauge, which reads in 0.1 degree
increments. Which means that I guess one bubble division on Baldwin
would be close to 0.3, two bubbles just under 0.6, and three between
0.8 and 0.9 degrees, with the resolution of the Wixey. Am I reading
the tables right?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico