[CAUT] fortepiano parts?

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 24 07:45:39 PDT 2009

> Thanks all for your advise and links to fortepiano.com.
>
> I think I'll get a set of bass strings. I have plenty of treble wire. I
> may get a few shanks for that event.
>
> Best!
>
> Paul

Paul,

If this is a Walter (Viennese action) then if you really want to be
prepared for the eventuality of having to do action work on the fly, I
would suggest having some complete kapsel/shank/hammer sets on hand.
That way if anything breaks, you just pop out the action, pull out the
old kapsel and put in the new one, shank - hammer and all.

One time I had to do this in Boston for Igor Kipnis in mid concert - he
broke a beak. I didn't have the parts, but he traveled with his own
piano and had spares. Beats gluing it back on in mid-concert (he
probably had his own guy do that later, to make another spare).

Israel Stein