[CAUT] haprsichord information

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Wed Apr 22 12:34:20 PDT 2009

Henry,

I can't remember who told me but there is a local guy that had been
doing the repairs on that instrument.  Ask around and see if you can
get in touch with him.  (who the heck told me that?  was it Jeanine or
maybe Ed B.?)  Whomever it was, this cat was supposed to know his
stuff and came in periodically to get it up to par.

As far as recording on that harpsichord, it is about as historically
correct of an instrument as a plastic Stradivarius.  That was one of
those harpsichord revival monstrosities that features wound strings
and so on.  I doubt you want to spend a bunch of time or money on it.
It is also the beast that I hurt my back moving so if it were to
"accidently" fall off the stage late one night, there might be a
little something in it for you...

Chris

On Apr 22, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Dr. Henry Nicolaides wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> We have a circa 1970 Rutkowski & Robinette.  Does anyone know if
> they are still building and/or any contact information.  It has some
> loose tuning pins that do not appear to be in a wood pin block of
> any sort.  More like some sort of composite material.  Some look
> like tuning pin bushings that are on top of the block surface.  They
> have a tendency to crack when driving the pin in further.  A few
> strings need replacing now and I would suspect restrings would be
> nice if bringing this once fine instrument back to performance
> level.  We have a new faculty that wants to use it with historical
> temperaments in performance and also some recording.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry Nicolaides, Piano Technician
> SIU School of Music
> 1000 S. Normal Avenue
> Carbondale, Illinois 62901
>
> email: henryn at siu.edu
>
> Rediscover Hotmail®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. Check
> it out.

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
Registered Piano Technician
School of Music, Ohio University