[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Apr 22 11:46:19 PDT 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 12:22 PM, A440A at aol.com wrote:

>   The discussion was originally about the reasons for the changes, ie,
> that the changes I have seen in the last 30 years were made for ease
> of
> production, speed of production, or lower cost,  NOT improvement of
> the piano.

	I think that is an incomplete view. Certainly some changes have
always been made for efficiency and cost reasons to some extent, at
any manufacturer. But there are plenty of changes that I have seen at
Steinway which are definitely aimed exclusively at improving quality
and with no apparent cost/speed dividend. Hammer skiving equipment,
for instance, at considerable expense in design and execution, which
has resulted in far more consistent hammers in the last three years.
The 30 year figure, I guess, omits the whole teflon experiment, but
that was a good example of an attempt to do something for quality
(IMO) purposes, one that could possibly have succeeded except for some
missteps (and inadequate testing of the initial design). The
investment in action machines has resulted in a dramatic improvement
in quality and consistency in the past ten years, at great expense (it
may pay dividends in production over time, but was definitely done
with quality in mind). Same with action frame production equipment and
results.
	I could go on and on, only because I happen to have been lucky enough
to see for myself, over the past ten years, in four one week academy
seminars, what has been going on in that factory. I am not blind, nor
am I particularly prone to being suggestible.
	So while I certainly have my own issues with how Steinway does
things, some design features, some procedures, I frankly admire their
current attitude and the direction the company is moving. There are
many qualities in former production designs and techniques (early 20th
century, late 19th century) that produced admirable results. I think
it would be wonderful if pianos were made those ways as well: let any
other manufacturer fill that gap, and it will be a welcome addition.
	At the same time, I admire lots of other piano enterprises that are
forward-looking, like the Shigeru Kawai, M & H, Fazioli, Sauter, Roger
Jolly's work with Samick's; the tiny crazy guys <G> like Ron Overs,
Spreeman, Arledge; people pushing boundaries on techniques, like
Stanwood and Wapin; the various folks working on parts, like Abel,
Ronsen, WNG. We have a lot to admire in the current piano industry. So
why focus on griping and carping? Where does that get us? (Other than
satisfying a particular attribute of human nature).
	Again, I am not saying we shouldn't be critical. It is a question of
degree and tone. It is more productive, and better for the survival of
our fragile industry, if we make the criticism constructive rather
than destructive.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico