[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Sloane, Benjamin (sloaneba) sloaneba at ucmail.uc.edu
Tue Apr 21 11:52:42 PDT 2009

Every one criticizes the CBS years. Yet one thing I find consistently when I sit in front of a CBS Steinway is a powerful bass that outpowers every Steinway I hear, from decades before and after, even 25, 30, 40 years into its life. With a bass like that, you can bring up the treble 'till your heart's content.
   I can't remember the exact years CBS owned Steinway; maybe you can refresh my memory. I am speaking generally about that phase, I guess.
    We got 7 D's. We got a D from the 80's sitting in a band room that I think should be in the orchestra hall. It is a bigger sound then any of the newer stuff we got, but because it isn't new, we gotta leave it in the band room because everybody is goin' ape for the new ones. Maybe the room is throwing me off. Somebody else you know better than me probably disagrees.
   You want to say a Steinway can be re-born, I don't know if I am denying that. But it isn't happening a whole lot, because people have their own way of doing things.