[CAUT] install bridge pins?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Apr 20 22:45:52 PDT 2009

I'm not convinced that the epoxy penetrates any more than the CA.  If the
bridge cap is coming apart I recap and don't presume to fix it with epoxy
penetration.  I've not tried to measure the penetration with CA so I can't
comment there.  Treating with epoxy or CA allows me to redrill the holes as
both work well to reinforce the wood around the hole so that it doesn't chip
or split during the process of redrilling.  If you are going to redrill you
have to do that first.   I've not had problems with broken bits when
redrilling (unless you hit a screw).  Denatured alcohol is the solvent that
you use to thin DAG and it does work to remove it.  Make sure you clean it
off before you do anything to the notches.  Then any residue you leave there
will be cut away when you renotch.  You can also scrape the dag off but be
careful that you don't create dips in the bridge cap.  A razorblade works
fine and will do less damage than a scraper.  Yes, agraffes and capo bar
dressing are also an important part of the equation.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com