[CAUT] install bridge pins?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Apr 20 14:17:13 PDT 2009

I've gone to replacing pins with a larger size depending on the piano.  Most
Steinways have #6 pins in the capo section, #7 through the tenor, #8 and #9
in the bass.  I don't do the epoxy method anymore either.  After pulling out
the old pins, cleaning the old dag off with denatured alcohol  and sanding
out the string grooves, I coat the bridge top with thin CA glue allowing it
to run down into the holes (wear a mask).  Lately I've taken to staining the
very top of the bridge (not the notches) with some wood colored stain like
cherry or mahogany first.  After the CA application the holes themselves
will be reinforced enough to redrill which I do with the next size up: #7 in
the capo, #8 in the tenor and #9 through the bass.  (If the bridge pins are
already those sizes I don't go larger than that.)  The CA also will size the
holes just slightly.  After drilling I then recut the notches.  The stain
makes seeing the notch line easier and looks nice when you coat the bridge
with clear lacquer which I do when all is done.  I also use rounded pins
setting them to the desired height above the bridge cap during installation
and don't file.  Once the pins are  installed I secure them with another
application of thin CA, then shoot with clear lacquer.  I don't use a
lubricant on the bridge top, doesn't seem necessary and can mar your really
nicely finished surface.

As an aside, on most rebuilds with the original board I recap the capo
section (even if I don't recap the rest of the piano) and take advantage of
the opportunity to make any speaking length changes or address bridge height
concerns.  In that case, I don't stain the new bridge caps  (new quarter
sawn maple just looks too nice) and finish also with clear lacquer.

Resurfacing the bridge, repining and recutting the notches is an essential
part of any quality rebuilding job, in my view.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com