[CAUT] 234 Steinway B

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Apr 19 07:19:16 PDT 2009

The back checks can be set deeper by clamping a Vise-Grip on the wire
and using that
to press it in. Be careful of the wire coming out the bottom, DAMHIK.
Securing the wire
in a vise and tapping the bottom of the key with a hammer works but
the wires need to be rebent.  I doubt this is possible with the
distance of 5-6 mm needed.

Pianotek has a new wire length which is not in their catalogue. With
the check it measures 82 mm as opposed to 89 mm for the regular
length, there is a shorter length as well but this 82 length was made
specifically for these problems.  I had to use them on a recent
project where the 89 mm pushed out the bottom of the key.

This brings us back to the basics of action elevations. Are the
hammer centers and wippen centers at their appropriate respective
heights.  Here's something Newton Hunt
posted many years ago:

 From the book, "Steinway Regulation"  by F. R. Dietz:

                                                    Model S-B         C-D

Point of hammer center
from bottom of string                     4.6 cm          4.9 cm

point of rep center                       11.0 cm        11.3 cm

blow                                              47 mm         47 mm

dip                                                9.5 mm        10 mm

underside of keytop                      63 mm         65 mm
from keybed

Since the hammers are on the cushions I would suspect: bore length,
stack height
or possibly the rest felt is too tall.

I find that B's are consistently problematic. With the abundance of
after touch, there
is the possibility of moving the capstan forwards as much as 10 mm.
Look at the
possibility of moving the stack back as well.

Last year I worked on an older B and had to modify the wippens to get
the action to regulate now and accommodate future hammer wear.
Problem: the Drop screws and Let Off screws were about fully up.
Solution: Lower rep upstop cushion. Reduce the height of the jack
tender tip. jpg attached.

I used the same rep cushion since it came off cleanly but reattached
it with gluing only the perimeter. The impact noise was reduced. The
cushion also contacted the upstop screw at what I considered a better
angle.

It regulated with the Drop screws and Let Off buttons at the
positions one would expect.
--

Regards,

Jon Page