[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Apr 18 17:29:09 PDT 2009

Hi Roger...ya ol pirate :)

Correct me if I am wrong here....but I see no where in the quote below
or anywhere else in Rons posts where the phrase <<belle braced rim>>
comes in.  He does place a question mark on whether or not there was any
additional bracing to the rim... but otherwise only states directly
that the string scale, bridges, ribscale, cutoff and bar were not
stock.  If Overs did supply any additional bracing to the rim that would
not be stock either rather by definition I should suppose eh :) ?

If I remember the Reno instrument correctly it also had a very visible
thinning of the SB on the long side of the rim back by the bass
bridge... really stylish appearance to it as well.... but perhaps I'm
confusing that with another of his instruments.... In any case I get
Freds point about prep to be sure.... tho the examples used were perhaps
a bit out of perspective.  I havent seen or heard of any modified
Bohemia from Fandrich.... that would be interesting to hear about.  I
kinda like the overall sound of Czech pianos but I see a lot of what I'd
call sloppy workmanship in them.... sorry if that hits a bad note with
someone or another but I do have plenty of examples... and as said many
times... despite all other things I find I always end up liking them a
good deal more then other comparatively priced instruments.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ron,
                  I have never heard of a belly braced rim referred to
    as a laminated panel, that's a new one on me.

    Regards Roger