[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Apr 18 11:48:23 PDT 2009

On Apr 18, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> In both the piano in Reno, and the one in Rochester, Ron used a
> stock Samick laminated *panel*, not belly. The string scale,
> bridges, rib scale, cutoff bar, and whatever additional bracing he
> did to the rim were his own, and decidedly not stock. Yes, I was
> impressed.

	I thought the one in Reno was based on a rim with board already glued
in (ribs as well) and the stock plate. Then he made modifications,
including thinning the edges of the board and fooling with front
bearing, etc, etc. Maybe I got it wrong. Certainly the one in
Rochester was more his own.
	In any case, the point I was trying to make had to do with the
importance of prep in how a pianist perceives an instrument. From what
many might consider a pretty unpromising beginning, it is possible for
a skilled tech to make something quite impressive, something that
might well be perceived as better than a possibly better designed but
not so well prepped instrument. It is certainly the case that the
"wow" piano loses its luster real fast if there isn't a qualified tech
around to keep it up.
	For me, approaching an instrument as a pianist (not a tech), that is
certainly the case. As a tech, I might look at potential, but as a
pianist, I look at "what goes in and what comes out." So even a couple
muddy unisons, a slightly blocking hammer or two, a couple badly
seated dampers make an impact. An "out of focus" regulation makes a
big difference, as does voicing style. There is a first impression,
then there is an impression after adapting to the instrument. But a
large percentage of both is based on prep.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu

PS, answering Roger Jolly: I don't think I said anything about
inferior rim, either, though I suppose maybe there might be an
inference to be had from the words "what Ron Overs does with a Samick
belly and rim." It was intended as a compliment to Ron O, not a slap
at Samick. I should have made plain that I was thinking of the piano
he showed nearly ten years ago in Reno, and in particular to what he
got out of a stock laminated board. It certainly exceeded my
expectations by far, based on similar boards in production pianos. Of
course, part of it was modifications like the thinning around the
edges and adding weight in various places. But it made me question
just how important a solid spruce soundboard is, among other things.
And it made me question some of the dogmas about design that circulate
around.