[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Apr 17 16:13:25 PDT 2009

Forgive me but I’m not clear as to the point.  I would say that rebuilders
vary quite a lot and the variety of outcomes is due to much more than the
tweaking of action ratios or hammer selection.  I have read Franz Mohr’s
book (most of it anyway) but I think it should be viewed in light of his
sentiment.  He is and has reasons to be very beholden to Steinway.  Given
their history together I don’t blame him.  And yes, there are certainly
differences in outcomes with pianos of the same make and model even when
they are using the same design.  The question is why and to what degree the
standard deviation needs to be as wide as it is.  There are two aspects,
design and execution.  Part of my point was that even putting design aside,
there is far too much variability coming out of Steinway in terms of
execution, at least from what I’ve seen from the rebuilding department.  A
more careful rebuilding job with greater attention to detail can narrow the
range of variability to the degree that the designs allow.  I don’t see that
coming from the factory often enough.    The design issue itself is another
question but my point there was that many rebuilders who are tweaking the
scaling (which btw almost every independent bass string maker does including
GC, Arledge, JD Grandt, Sanderson, Issac, to name a few), or embracing
alternate ways of forming crown are not necessarily rejecting the Steinway
tonal concept of low tension scale, heavy plate and rim, lightweight
soundboard assembly, lightweight and soft hammer.  Rather, many are just
looking for a more reliable and consistent way to achieve those ends given
the things we have to work with.

I don’t know if that addresses your point or not but that was mine.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com