[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Apr 17 09:43:15 PDT 2009

Sorry bout the empty post... was trying to read from the archives and
needed to drop the original text into a blank email to get it all on one
side.

That said... this is a major can of worms. There are so many folks who
mean to know better then Steinway what Steinway is, was, will be, should
be... etc. And there is the fact that Steinway is in the business of
producing pianos en masse in a very nasty market with all the realities
of production problems. And there is the fact that if all the hoopalah
about S&S on all sides of all fences wasn't about S&S then it sure as
heck would be about some other make that establishes itself as the new
top of the heap, king of the hill, whatever else Frankie sang about.

This said again... and despite all claims real and imagined about the
variability found in Steinway instruments.... they have a sound of their
own. And this basic sound has not changed nearly as much as some would
have it through the years.  Its characterized by some basic design
issues that nearly all others copy and by their basic approach to piano
building in general.  Years ago there were many factories... all with
their own approach and philosophies... and these were reflected fairly
clearly by the tone of the instrument.  Today many such factories have
either fallen by the wayside or given up on their own sound.... trying
to emulate the sound of the leader of the pack.... or just plain make
stamp instruments that look like S&S clones but are punched out by the
dozens each day in emerging piano producing countries.

As far as who rebuilds what... and why... and what it becomes... I'll go
a very very long ways down the road that David Porritt walks. My only
concern in this regard is that whatever is done to modify a product is
very visibly identified.... that is to say I have no liking for anyone
in any sense of the word passing off one product for another.  If you
have rebuilt a Steinway, Baldwin, or any other instrument with a
modified scale, plate, soundboard design... whatever.. then make it very
clear to anyone who sees the instrument that its a custom rebuild... and
be darned proud of taking the credit for your work in the bargain.

I don't really personally like the S&S dominance.... I think it says a
lot of less then flattering things about pianists music appreciation
capabilities.  But thats just my opinion and I may even be off base in
the end with it.  Regardless... its a fact of life. They are what they
are and they are no doubt very fine instruments.  No amount of marketing
skills could possibly account for their totally unprecedented (in any
industry in all history) success. Not much I can do about that.... :) I
like many instruments... fell pladask in most ways for the Nossaman
rebuild I saw in Rochester... and was simply floored by the
immaculateness of Overs entry.... I like variety and I appreciate
quality.  So I like S&S as well as these others.

Live and let live I say... but be honest about it and leave all the
smearing of the <<other guy>> out of any discussion.

Cheers
RicB