[CAUT] Steinway or Forgery?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Apr 17 09:24:06 PDT 2009

ess recently, the Cincinnati Chapter of the PTG had a quarrel about
rebuilding, featuring primarily a feud between two characters. I am
going to refrain from employing their appellations, but many will know
who I am talking about. I was not in Cincinnati, but Oberlin at the time
of the conflict. It has led to lost friendships, bruised egos,
alienation evident to someone not even here at the time, and many
unanswered questions. In the end, a Steinway dealer got ousted from the
guild, while managing to hold on to the dealership for something like
another 15 years or so after the fact. Or was it 9? 20? My observations
result from never having had a conversation with either man, and
hopefully, will not seem an imposture, but an objective response of
someone emotionally removed from the conflict.
A number of rebuilders in Cincinnati learned bellywork from Baldwin. The
then local Steinway dealer, a rebuilder, tuner, and editor of the PTG
Journal as well decided one of the Baldwin disciples didn’t know what he
was doing, and said so, dare I suggest, inferred that he Baldwinized
pianos. Now we should all understand that permeating the piano industry
is the distinction between what the factory does, and what piano
technicians do. We have to deal with what the factory made in the first
place, whether or not the factory achieved stated goals, and beyond
that, in every area of piano maintenance. The factory itself deviates
from specs. That is another subject.
Though experiencing a lot as a shop monkey at Oberlin, I decided to
leave for Cincinnati in order to familiarize myself with fieldwork,
focusing on tuning. At the time, shopwork bored me. Some people actually
got the impression in Cincinnati all I do is tune in the process.
Whatever. I had the opportunity to evaluate the work of both these
Technicians right down to the bellywork; I found both to be doing some
very impressive work, notwithstanding the eggs these men laid in the
process. My piano degree affords me the opportunity at a sonic
evaluation, most of all. Nevertheless, I am not convinced all the
chickens came home to roost in the final analysis.
The observations of Sturm, Mannino, and others about the peculiarities
of different pianos, actions, and hammers bring us vis-à-vis the
decision making process of belly and action work, and begs the question,
Is it still a Steinway? Is it still a Baldwin? Is it still a Mason &
Hamlin? Is it still a Kawai?
I’ve worked at both the oldest Steinway school in the world, and now,
the newest one. Steinway takes a lot of flack in spite of their success.
The last national convention I went to as I recall, one European teacher
called Steinway the piano mafia and a monopoly. Again, people seem more
disposed to question whether or not the Steinway factory is producing
Steinways more than rebuilders themselves. This, is absolutely, ridiculous.
Partly out of deference to Steinway, and also, due to time constraints,
at Oberlin, we decided to plug, or what others call shim, many
soundboards, and not only leave the original block in, but use different
size pins to accommodate wear, not re-drill. What, cracked? Some
criticized this approach, even from within, but we never found it
necessary to oust anyone from the Cleveland chapter as a result. For
quite a few years, we managed to get 15 or 20 action jobs a year done
with 3 people and a sizable inventory subjected to the heaviest use
imaginable because of the time and budget we created by this approach,
not to mention the re-stringing, plugging, bridge pin glue-sizing, and
everything else that went with this I was too young to realize happened
also. And we coughed up the money for Steinway hammers! I know this,
from experience at other institutions, including others besides Oberlin
and Cincinnati, was a lot. It was a balancing act to this day I think
under the circumstances was the ideal response in that situation, a type
of situational ethics technicians both in business for themselves and at
institutions scoff at. You rebuild 15-20 actions a year, re-string a
few, tune for the greatest musicians, and still, you don’t understand
what a piano is.
Steinway does not even have a monopoly over his own name. Steinway
didn’t need to start a restoration program. I am not sure any other
belly worker could say they restore Steinways but Steinway. The name
Steinway is used so loosely now. Why do some Boston pianos come with a
stretcher bar that is mounted with screws? How on earth do we even begin
to suggest the Steinway factory stopped producing Steinways many years
ago? I find this outrageous when considering what people are doing with
the Steinway name now, and how little concern Steinway was allowed to
express about this.
I must unequivocally reject the idea that the Steinway factory is not
producing Steinways, from the hammer to the belly to the action to the
action ratio to the etc. The notion that we suggest this in light of
what rebuilders are doing to Steinways today, is preposterous.
For the, “Is it a Steinway?” query, the ball must be put squarely in the
court, of the rebuilders, not the Steinway factory. Kick me out if you
want, but I want to reassure all of you as someone, again, with
experience at the first and the last Steinway school in the world. The
Steinway factory, believe it or not, is still making Steinways, and they
are as Steinway as Steinway can get.
News flash! The Steinway factory did not stop producing Steinways years
ago. The Steinway factory still makes Steinways, and on the other hand,
it is no lucky coincidence when a rebuilder restores a Steinway, or does
not.