[CAUT] tail scuffing (was Another Baldwin Question/backchecks)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Apr 14 15:50:56 PDT 2009

On Apr 14, 2009, at 3:33 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:
>  Tails need to be scored as well....very smooth..

	I don't like that word, "scored." Rather coarse sandpaper (about 100
grit) is quite enough for good checking. Here are pictures of the jig
I use, home made from some tongue and groove flooring and whatnot, I
think pretty self-explanatory. Pull each hammer up in turn, the
grooves hold the shank, hold the hammerhead with your hand against the
top of the jig, back and forth sanding, move on to the next. I use
those metal paddles from Pianotek (fit very nicely in the kit).
Standard procedure for ongoing maintenance along with brushing
knuckles and the like, but a bit more frequent.

P4140001.JPG

P4140002.JPG

P4140003.JPG

P4140004.JPG