[CAUT] 80 year old S&S hammers

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Apr 13 08:25:31 PDT 2009

David,

I think so too. These older hammers seem to be "rounder" and less egg shaped, for lack of better words. According to the Weikert class the layers on most hammers are cut through and not continuous layers through one side to the other. Maybe this is a key in their sound, as they say.

Jim

molding is much more consistent and that the treble sections tend to have
less felt than the equivalent cold pressed hammers that I'm seeing today.
The thickness of the felt over the molding seems to be a critical component
for achieving controlled brilliance without resorting to hammers that are
over pressed or over lacquered to achieve the same effect. <<<<

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com