[CAUT] 80 year old S&S hammers

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Apr 13 08:16:27 PDT 2009

The question is what were these hammers like out of the box.  My guess is
that the tone was fairly soft and that they were allowed to develop through
natural playing rather than being forced up. That process likely took
awhile.  Sadly, many customers lack the patience or the ability to foresee
just how those hammers will develop.  (Of course, that's also true with
heavily lacquered hammers or hard pressed hammers that can sound good out of
the box but quickly develop an uncontrollable stridency.)  I also notice on
these older hammers that the control of the thickness of the felt over the
molding is much more consistent and that the treble sections tend to have
less felt than the equivalent cold pressed hammers that I'm seeing today.
The thickness of the felt over the molding seems to be a critical component
for achieving controlled brilliance without resorting to hammers that are
over pressed or over lacquered to achieve the same effect.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com