[CAUT] Schubert temperament redux

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Apr 11 09:47:03 PDT 2009

On Apr 11, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Does that mean that ET is more a historical temperament than most
> presently listed as historical temperaments? <G>
> Ron N

	Yes, from about 1800 on (with the exception of Italy and England,
where very little piano music was written in the 1800s). Practically
speaking, for the piano one can make arguments for UET for the
classical period (Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven), though one can make at
least an equally strong argument for ET for that period as well,
possibly a stronger argument. And, of course, one can quibble about
"how precisely" ET was achieved, and also about how precisely any
given UET was achieved.
	But I think it is pretty clear that the answer to the Schubert
question is ET. And if you want to do a somewhat sloppy ET for the
sake of "authenticity," I suppose that would be appropriate <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu