[CAUT] Schubert temperament redux

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Apr 11 09:25:39 PDT 2009

On Apr 11, 2009, at 9:57 AM, David Love wrote:

> Some time ago now I heard a presentation by Michael Kimbell (local
> technician RPT/composer and CTE) about this very subject concerning
> when ET
> actually came into common use.  His findings, as I recall, concur
> with this
> and suggest the use of ET was in common practice much earlier than
> current
> mythology would suggest.  I'll forward this to him and perhaps he
> can also
> comment.
>
> David Love
> www.davidlovepianos.com

Hi David,
	I have been in contact with Michael Kimbell, and he tells me he has
collected considerable material from the 19th century, which confirms
very positively that ET was very much predominant and unchallenged. I
think most of his material is Germanic. He also found considerable
plagiarism of Montal's work.
	I'll expand a bit on McGeary's article. Some of the instructions he
examined were pretty bad, others quite reasonable. There were methods
involving circle of 5ths, checking M3s and possibly chords as they
became available; methods dividing the octave into three M3s, and then
"working backwards" by fitting four 5ths into those M3s; and there
were some that were quite badly written, but it was obvious that the
intent was ET, as they said that all keys should sound exactly the
same as each other, or words to that effect.
	Kirnberger was one of the very strongest proponents of the idea of
"key color" in the late 18th century. It is interesting that his
tuning method is one of the worst and least sophisticated in producing
a gradation of sizes of M3s. Werckmeister III, about a century
earlier, is far more sophisticated and better designed. One certainly
does not see a smooth process of "evolution" from crude to refined.
	I have also been reading some articles by Barbieri on the persistence
of unequal temperament in Italy in the 19th century. A very different
picture from Germany, with a lot of people continuing to advocate for
mean tone and modified mean tone of various sorts (Vallotti's scheme
was a sophisticated and elegant modified mean tone, derived from 1/6
comma mean tone).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico