[CAUT] 80 year old S&S hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Apr 10 20:14:08 PDT 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 7:12 PM, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> I have observed this on a number of older pianos. Some of those
> hammers were almost ridiculously soft and resilient yet produced
> wonderful tone that should be bright enough for anyone short of the
> profoundly deaf. And they seemed to last forever. Much longer than
> the lacquered granite that passes for hammers on many contemporary
> pianos.
>
> ddf

	I recently ran across an old Steinway service manual, apparently from
the 50s and 60s (it has no date), wherein the voicing instructions
note that the hammers are deep needled in the shoulders in the
factory, hence the technician won't need to do much there (and warning
against over-needling). Not a peep about hardeners.
	Tucked into the manual (which is a short version, meant for free
distribution, not like the later loose leaf one) was a mimeograph
about teflon bushings and their treatment. So I am guessing I got it
from George Defebaugh around 1980, as I attended an all day session he
did that year. I remember he talked in detail about how to deal with
teflon bushings, and also about lacquering hammers, recommending
shoulders only, none in the crown.
	So the modern myth some of the Steinway folks have come up with, that
they started using lacquer when they had stopped using shellac, seems
a little tenuous. And the evidence of actual old hammers makes it even
more plain that reliance on lacquer is no older than maybe the 70s or
so. Which isn't to say that the basement folks might not have been
using some hardeners for custom work in the concert halls for somewhat
longer.
	I'm still thinking there is a connection between lacquer and the
trend toward heavier and heavier hammers, which started well before
the "NY Improved" ratio re-design (hence the "super-leaded" keys).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu