[CAUT] heat control (was Re: S&S Key Bushings)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Oct 31 21:21:15 MST 2008

On Oct 31, 2008, at 8:30 AM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Concern that burning Teflon will kill my budgie. Birds are very
> sensitive to teflon fumes.

	Well, the "experts" seem to say that hazardous teflon fumes come at
pretty high temperatures, as in leaving a pan on a hot burner with
nothing in it. I guess I kind of believe them, with a pinch of salt.
In any case, I do try to keep the cauls within a fairly low
temperature range, somewhere above boiling water but not too far
above. I check with the tried and true "lick a finger and touch" test,
with the varying degrees of hiss telling me what I want to know. If
the iron is too hot, I dip it in a bottle cap full of water to cool it.
	Which brings me to a question: what do those supposed temperature
controllers do and how? I'm talking about the Dial a Temp black boxes.
I also purchased a set of cauls and iron and temp control  (I forget
from which supply house) which provided a light dimmer to add to the
cord instead of the Dial a Temp. So I use one of those as well. Now
the light dimmer I mostly understand: it's a rheostat, and only "lets
so much electricity through" depending where you set the dial, having
to do with contact area within the switch. But the Dial a Temp box is
different. It clicks on and off like a thermostat. But it has no
temperature probe. All it can be doing is sensing electricity flow as
far as I can see.
	Does anyone on the list have a sense of the mechanism? I have
basically come to terms with using both the box and the rheostat
successfully enough, but the curiosity eats at me a wee bit. (In
either case, the cauls can get fairly hot (too hot) if just left on
over a period of time at what has been determined to be the "right
setting"; and can be not hot enough if used "too fast" as in inserting
into too many cold bushings in a row too fast. So I try to hit a happy
medium, and always check the caul if it's been sitting a while).

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu