[CAUT] Shulze tuning research

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Oct 23 09:44:19 MDT 2008

	I have been in correspondence with Gary Shulze, and would like to
share with the list some interesting information concerning the
research he did, on the basis of which he wrote the article we have
been discussing. In 1981, while he was working as a teaching assistant
under Owen Jorgensen, he had been looking into the aural principles
that are present in fine piano tuning, and had become aware of the
fact that beatless P12 and P19 intervals tended to be a feature of
such tuning. He said that his discussions with other tuners made clear
that they had come to the same conclusion.
	He did calculated tunings based on the logarithmically equal division
of the P12 and of the P19, taking into account inharmonicity. These
were very tedious calculations based on the computer capabilities of
the time, involving the use of formulae to calculate frequency, and
then to convert frequency into the cents system.
	Having made these calculations, he proceeded to compare the results
with readings made on an aurally tuned Steinway D. And he found a
remarkable degree of correspondence. Hence, he proposed (in his
article) the notion of the P19 temperament as a basis for aural tuning
in which stretch and inharmonicity melded to produce "excellent
results."
	To the best of my knowledge he took this no further, in the sense of
coming up with a "system" for producing this tuning. It was more along
the lines of developing guidelines for "proving" a tuning as one was
producing it, using the P12 and P19 to show that you were using the
appropriate stretch (and as a basis for adjusting if necessary).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu