[CAUT] Grand piano size

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Oct 22 15:38:24 MDT 2008

If you find the need for Steinway's (are you an all Steinway school?) then
I would choose the M.  Otherwise, Overs, Kawai, Yamaha would be excellent
choices. It depends on your needs/wants... They're all great instruments.
The extra cost for an O or A wouldn't be worth it for just a practice
room....The Yams and Kawais can take a pounding and still come back for
more.. Have you looked into M&H?  I really like them for practice
rooms.Disklaviers are getting more in demand at UNL and I think we might
get some more in the future....budget concerns, of course a factor.  We
probably won't get any Disklavier grands, however. Why, may I ask, would
you consider an O or A or even B for practice rooms????  Too much money
for what they are designated for IMHO...:>)  Save the money for the stage!

Paul

Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
10/22/2008 03:17 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] Grand piano size

Blaine,

With the exception of piano faculty most profs here at BYU have verticals.
We have 26 Disklaviers in faculty studios. That gives them the option of
using accompaniment, and takes up less room.

On a side note, I agree 1000% with Ron Overs. I would choose one of his
pianos hands down over,…. Well, nearly anything.

FWIW.

Jim Busby BYU