[CAUT] Dampp-chaser and fused plug ends

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue Oct 21 11:32:14 MDT 2008

Jessica,

We had a student move a piano w/o unplugging it and the plug stayed in the wall but the cord broke right where the plug was. A bare wire was sticking out...

The only problem I have found (I'm a believer in them! We have 26 of them here at BYU.) is when the room is so vented that the air handler overpowers the system. The unit is literally being "sucked dry" by the strong HVAC current. Even with the back cover and installed properly, etc. sometimes in a dry climate like ours (Utah) it can't seem to keep up. With as low as 8% RH and the air being exchanged every couple of minutes it's like a giant moisture magnet. Roger is still working with us trying to find a solution, but we are really the exception to the rule. There may be a few others like us, so that's why I'm writing this. In a home or "normal" situation they are fantastic. I'm confident that Roger will solve our dilemma.

Jim Busby BYU