[CAUT] Dampp-chaser and fused plug ends

Jessica Masse ebonyandivory at on.aibn.com
Mon Oct 20 12:29:06 MDT 2008

Hi,

I am writing this in support of the Dampp-chaser climate control systems.
There have been many improvements on the systems and they work provided the
owner of the piano gets the instructions correct.   I have found that in
general it's better to say less to minimize any confusion and ensure the
owner to make a call when they have questions.

The only real problems I have found come from the system being powered off
usually unintentionally or temporarily and then they forgot to plug it back
in.  The system could use a no power (battery-backed alarm) because the
standing water in the humidifier can be very damaging.

The other thing is the power cords get run over in public places which can
be very dangerous and the reason I am writing this.

When the systems are installed where the piano is going to be moved, install
the systems cord tied to the inside of the bottom of the rim and then add an
extension cord.  Let them run over the extension cord.

I just looked at a fused plug that was run over- probably crushed and was
straightened and plugged back in.  The fuse door was damaged and now the
plug is cracked and exposing the inside of the plugs prongs.  This is
potentially very dangerous. (Except the good spare fuse is working).  I just
wrote a letter to the school telling them to remove the water from the tank
and unplug the system.  Now I am looking for a solution to this new problem
without changing the new safety standard of the improved system.  The plug
needs to be replaced or the Humidistat needs replacing.

Jessica Masse

RPT Piano Technicians Guild

Proprietor, Ebony and Ivory Piano Company