[CAUT] P-12ths was: Tuning a Steinway D and a Bosendorfer Imperial together

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 10:50:45 MDT 2008

I don't understand why anyone would assume that the mathematical model for
19 tone to the P12 equal temperament would be followed any more closely in
practice than that of the 12 tone to the octave equal temperament.

When we tune 12 tone to the octave ET we modify the tuning for aesthetic
reasons and to deal with the change in inharmonicity across the scale and to
tune the treble as sharp as we like to hear.

Same thing with the P12th ET.

Stopper's tuning appears to deal with inharmonicity in an appropriate and
consistent manner. In the bass, some pianos are tuned wider than that to
which I am accustomed and some are more narrow, but the effect is the same
-- a coherent sound to the overall tuning. As for the treble, I strongly
suspect that Stopper picked a deviation for C8 that is similar for all
pianos. Other techs do the same thing; one approach to getting two pianos
tuned together has been to pick a deviation for C8 and do the stretch
necessary to make that chosen deviation happen at C8. The curve leading up
to C8 will be different on the two pianos, but the approach is valid.

For what it's worth, Stopper has realeased tuning programs for guitar,
violin, and cello through Apple's AppStore for iPhone and iPod Touch. Anyone
with an iPhone or a 2nd gen iPod Touch can get a free taste of Stopper's
tuning program by downloading the free version of Stopper's guitar-tuning
program.

Kent Swafford

PS -- I don't know if the piano tuning program will or will not be released
for the iPhone.

KES