[CAUT] Antibiotics that affect the hearing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Oct 9 08:54:55 MDT 2008

> Thanks guys. I had a sinus congestion/infection get up into my ears and
> the congestion makes it so I feel like I have a box on my head or I'm
> standing in the other room trying to tune. This happened last year and
> it went away pretty quick. I saw the doctor this year and he gave me an
> antibiotic. It wasn't amoxicillin. tetracycline family.
>
> Keith Roberts

That's odd. They typically want to start with amoxycillin,
even when it didn't work the last 47 times. Tetracycline is
generally considered to be a lot harder on the stomach and
liver (doxycycline is worse) than on the hearing, but it
apparently depends on the individual.

Unwilling companion of a more or less continuous 35+ year
sinus infection.
Ron N