[CAUT] WNG parts

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Fri Oct 3 12:48:08 MDT 2008

When I was attending a PianoDisc installation seminar in Sacramento
Mr. Burgett handed samples of the action and shank-flange out to look
at and discussed the research that went into the design.  You can
order them with customizable heal and heal angle for the whippen.
Apparently if you get your gluing wrong on the hammers you can burn in
a twist to the shank and it will keep it indefinitely.

Apparently this action will be available on M&H as a special order,
but not for production simply because it does not look traditional at
all.  Similar shape and arrangement of levers but no attempt is made
to disguise the fact that this is a new, improved action!  (Salesmen
and as a result, their customers, are very traditional.)

Friction is very low throughout (even in the hammer flange) but it is
stabile through a "proprietary process" that he wasn't prepared to go
into detail about just yet.  The parts are very light yet much
stronger then wood.  He suggested that could be taken advantage of in
action design and weigh-off.  He sees this as a departure from blind
tradition into research based problem solving.  They definitely have a
"tech" look about them.

I keep string covers on my pianos here to prevent rust so I'm
tempted.  Just haven't got around to coughing up the dough.  None of
the pianos I service institutionally are off their Steinway warranty
yet (not that its worth the paper its written on in our case: dealer).

Andrew Anderson