[CAUT] Steinway... The "Safe" Piano.

Rick Florence Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Sun Nov 30 19:10:29 PST 2008

I disagree with this sentiment; that we should limit ourselves purely to technical discussions.  It is true our strengths are in the technical field, but that should not limit us in our ability to be involved in the "artistic" decisions of our schools.  We are as involved in the musical process as most faculty.  It is to our advantage to be considered colleagues as opposed to staff.  We have more to offer than solely the service of  pianos.  If we allow ourselves to be marginalized by not participating in such important decisions, we put ourselves in the position of being thought of as nothing more than piano mechanics.  For a group that constantly complains about the lack of pay and respect in our profession, we sure have a strange way of enabling such a position by assuming such a benign existence.

Rick Florence
Senior Piano Technician
Arizona State University
School of Music