[CAUT] new steinways

John D. Chapman johnchapman at asolare.org
Sat Nov 29 09:46:34 PST 2008

Hi Jeff,
Tone building with lacquer application is in my plans.  We chose the D
and two Bs at the factory.  I worked a bit with Dirk and Terry there to
see if more life could be added to some sections (mainly mid treble),
and we heard good results, so I plan to continue in that direction now
that the pianos are in their new acoustical environments.  In that mid
treble area I will probably use 8 to 1 acetone to lacquer applied at the
low shoulders watching it wick up almost to the crown.  Then needle if
it is too bright, starting first in shift position after fitting hammers
to strings etc.  All three pianos have excellent mid treble sustain when
the strings are plucked, so I am confident we can achieve the tone we
want.
That said, I really appreciate the help and suggestions you all are sending.
John

Jeff Tanner wrote:
> Hi John,
> You said "voicing", but I'd make sure to include the prospect of tone
> building and not just needling.  As has been mentioned, Steinway
> hammers come a bit unfinished so that the dealer's technician can
> taylor the tone to the application.  Your hammers will last you a lot
> longer if you start out with them more heavily lacquered than they
> typically come from the factory rather than waiting for them to play
> in.  And your pianists will probably thank you because they won't have
> to work so hard.
> Tanner
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John D. Chapman"
> <johnchapman at asolare.org>