[CAUT] "You are The Greatest!"

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 25 15:08:36 PST 2008

Yes, Alan,

I have one or two students a year (not just piano majors) that thank me
for what i do.  It really makes me feel good that somebody notices!!  We
have a current GTA that has gone a little overboard, however,. He fills my
comment page on every door with something wrong with each piano.  Like,
"check G3...it's a little out of tune!"
I, at first was a bit put off thinking how can I keep these pianos
perfectly in tune, but now am just amused...they are played 15 hours a
day. what do you expect?  It's nice to see that some students actually
appreciate our work! :>)  What can we do??? I would love a part time
assistant to go into every practice room and correct unisons or sticky
keys... but...whatever....That will not happen in my lifetime here at UNL.
 Our director is more than a penny pincher....He's monitarily
insane...Don't ask why I know.  I'm just glad he leaves me alone!!  I
think it's why I always stay under my budget.  I better keep it that
way!!!!

PW

reggaepass at aol.com
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/25/2008 04:39 PM
Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[CAUT] "You are The Greatest!"

List,

The subject line may sound like what the renowned boxer Mohammed Ali would
say to his image reflected back to him in a mirror before a bout.  But, I
am delighted to report, it is ALSO what a student just said to me as I
passed her in the hallway (!!!).  I figured that she had just spilled a
drink in a piano or had some other bad news to relay and that she was
simply softening me up before the other shoe dropped.  But no, she claims
that all of the other institutional piano technicians she has encountered
(obviously, no one on this list!) were grumpy and of otherwise generally
sour disposition.  After thanking her for making my day (week, month,
year...), I told her that maintaining a positive outlook was my way of
rebelling against the stereotype.

May you all be similarly blessed (sounds corny, but I really mean it).

Cheers,

Alan Eder
CalArts
Traveling over the river or through the woods this holiday season? Get the
MapQuest Toolbar. Directions, Traffic, Gas Prices & More!