[CAUT] "All Steinway" -What does it really mean...

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 24 14:42:21 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
To: <caut at ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] "All Steinway" -What does it really mean...

> Those big three bozos from Detroit will be pleased to hear that at least
> one
> person sees that the problem with American cars can be boiled down to
> marketing and perception--though I'm not sure that will be enough to
> wrestle
> 25 billion to help boost their overblown salaries and keep the fleet of
> corporate jets.  But that's another issue.

Yes, an entirely different issue, and is in no way what I wrote.
Exploitation, rape and pillage of the wealth and reputation of perfectly
good American companies and their stakeholders by the current methodologies
of the modern crop of corporate executives is an entirely different matter
than whether the product is actually comparable or perceived to be
comparable to its competitors.  And it is an injustice for us to punish
everyone else in the manufacturing, marketing and distribution chain just
because the executives have exploited the resources for their own benefit.

I say take all American CEOs and upper level management out in front of the
firing squad, confiscate their wealth for the preservation of the companies
they have pillaged and promote someone who has worked their way up the
company from the bottom to run it.

> I don't think Yamaha and Kawai have marketed their products as being
> superior to Steinway--at least I haven't seen that kind of advertising.

It isn't direct language.  It's slight of hand suggestion.  See my next
email.

> Their popularity has everything to do with price and predictability.

Along with a little bait and switch, but read my next email.

>  I'm
> also not convinced that Steinway has the upper hand in terms of longevity.
> After all, if they felt that confident, why do they only offer a 5 year
> warranty?

I'll respond to question with a response I got from a sales prospect when I
explained to him that my product had a 12 year warranty.  He asked, "why do
I need a warranty?"

It was a darned good question and he probably saw the opossum in the
headlights reaction in my eyes.  If there is a real reason he might need a
warranty, I introduce doubt in his mind in the quality of my product from
day one. The only answer that I could give him that might leave him
satisfied would be a deceitful one, and I couldn't go in that direction.  I
muddled through it as best I could, "same reason other manufacturers offer
one, they're being made in such quantity, they want to make sure if they've
made a mistake that slipped through Quality Control that the customer is
taken care of..."  But I felt like I left just a hint of doubt in his mind
as to the quality of our product.

I think the real answer lies in the reality that most legitimate warranty
issues arise within 5 years.  Anything after that is probably not due to a
defect in manufacturing, which is all the warranty covers.  That Yamaha will
send out replacement bass strings on warranty after several years is good
will, but its really pretty revealing.  String breakage should occur from
overuse.  That they are replacing them is akin to conceding that the scale
is poorly designed, and, in fact, I was sent a couple of strings that they
had rescaled because they had a high occurrence of breakage (when, in my
case the design problem was with the extreme angle from the coil to the
v-bar, and the string broke where it jumped the coil.  They disagreed, but I
digress).

  Properly maintained and in a reasonably benign environment both
> are capable of surviving well (or not).  In terms of serviceability (one
> other measure of quality), Yamaha and Kawai have it hands down.

We've debated this before, and my experience has been and remains quite the
opposite.  In fact, we have no examples of any 80 year old Yamaha and Kawais
in this country surviving in the superb condition we often find 80 to 100
year old Steinways.  That is a debate for which you have no evidence to
support.  I mean, you've seen these gray market pianos, haven't you?

  The ability
> to purchase manufactured and assembled parts which can be installed
> directly
> into an existing instrument is a strong selling point for institutions
> (and
> perhaps individuals) who can't necessarily afford the additional costs
> associated with custom jobs every time you need to replace a set of
> hammers
> and shanks.

And the cost has been discussed on this list before.  The Steinway parts are
2/3 of the cost of Yamaha parts.  (at least of the examples I have heard
discussed, this was the case -- I haven't actually ordered Yamaha parts
myself, other than a couple bass strings and a rubber pedal bushing, and
they didn't want to sell it to me at all without a serial number, which goes
back to the gray market thing)

> Steinway's appeal, in my view, has to do with their tonal concept that was
> captured best and produced more consistently earlier in the century.  That
> concept of low tension scales, light weight soundboards, heavy rims, light
> and soft hammer, produced a warm, slightly dark, rich tone that people
> responded to (warts, and model D--which is something quite different,
> notwithstanding).  Yamaha and Kawai (two name two) have a different
> concept
> and a design which lends itself to a very different tonal character.  Less
> appealing to me personally but what they do, they do very well and I
> understand why some people prefer it even if I don't (though I do prefer
> Yamaha uprights to Steinway uprights which, to me, are generally very
> disappointing, not to mention expensive).

When it comes to verticals, there are many really good alternatives in the
market right now.  And yes, the Steinways are expensive, and yes, perhaps
frustrating for the first 30 years if what you prefer is the tuning of a
Yamaha, but there again, I haven't seen any 50 to 60 year old Yamaha
verticals surviving in surprisingly good condition in schools of music the
way I have Steinways. And we technicians often compare the tone of verticals
with the hood open, you know?  With the hood down, I'm more disappointed
with the Yamaha -- it's like you've put in earplugs -- like Pavarotti with a
sock in his mouth -- but maybe that's just me.  Whether or not the current
offerings will hold up like their predecessors will be left for our
grandchildren to discover.  But I, like most of the rest of you, service too
many really old Steinways in original condition that are still really great
instruments, and I've seen too many 35 year old Asian pianos that just
didn't make it.

>  The current iteration of the
> Steinway piano seems somewhat more of a hybrid of thoughts as if they feel
> the pressure of the competition that seems to want to produce big, bright,
> loud pianos.  I think this confusion has not been to their benefit.

I think you are correct.  The Yamafication of Steinway touch and tone has
been going on for some time now.

Tanner