[CAUT] "All Steinway" - Environmental Impact Statement?

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Sun Nov 23 15:40:59 PST 2008

Michael~ (& All~)

Thank you, for providing additional, much-needed insight on yet another
facet of what "All Steinway School" can truly mean, for all involved.

And thank you also, for making us aware of yet another casualty resulting
from this "all-or-nothing"/"One-size-fits-all" approach to a problem.

One of the obvious casualties in all this, for me, is this inordinate
emphasis on "new" (regardless of the quality) at the expense of the "old"
(e.g. the 1929 "D"). In the minds of many, unfortunately, new is always
better. -Yet another irresponsible oversimplification, often solely for the
sake of selling more new product. (And cutting down more trees, for the
environmentalists among us. Eric speaks of "green" pianos, but, in the
environmental sense, at least, is what's being done here really "green"?)

How long will students now have to put up with "green" pianos (in Eric's
words) before Eric and his staff can get them in shape and under control?
How well-prepped, or under- or ill- prepped will they arrive from the
factory? I have no illusions about this, nor the transition shock that the
piano dept./piano technicians will be subjected to. 165 brand new pianos is
a lot to manage, especially with this particular brand where so much is
expected from dealer or Conservatory tech staff as part of the so-called
"Steinway Partnership". Steinway is, naturally, to be commended for
"providing work" for piano technicians such as Eric (and I suppose it is
better to be able to get something you can work with than something you
can't!); but the devil is in "how much work". (At what point would Eric be
better off working for Steinway?)

(But perhaps this is no longer a problem with new Steinways? Perhaps they
now arrive from the factory perfectly prepped? And with touchweight and
hammer density properly adjusted? So those poor kids won't get tendonitis
trying to practice on them?)

Perhaps some other technicians with direct personal experience with this
type of huge Steinway order could provide insight into the state of
adjustment in which the pianos might be expected to arrive, or into the
environmental impact of such an event, -for students, faculty, and tech
support.

Events like this are, of course, always very exciting, (and also tend to
divert people's attention from other equally significant matters, for a
season) -but they exact a price, which can often be considerable. One of
those liabilities may be that of putting the piano students and faculty in
limbo as far as instrument availability, predictability, or reliability for
quite a while. (Again, I am alluding to my personal experience at UT Austin,
and the fact that things were in upheaval, and displaced, and in a
semi-state of chaos for a fair interval with all those brand new Steinways,
despite the best efforts of the piano tech staff to maintain order. There
was a lot of disruption, as there always is with big marketing "events",
where the old is  being displaced by the new, in such an extreme way.

Will the students themselves be enlisted to help "break in" the new pianos,
prior to the tech staff's having an opportunity to adequately prep them?
This could be a major issue, one that could significantly and detrimentally
impact their physiology, especially if the actions start out too stiff, or
unevenly regulated so far as touchweight is concerned, or the hammers too
soft. (This happened at UT-  -but again, this is nothing "new", so perhaps
it can be considered of no significance, or consequence. The students will
recover, -maybe. -Some may have to quit playing.)

What about the sale or "disposal" (excuse the term) of all the older pianos
that will be displaced by the new ones? How will that be handled? Will this
be taken care of by some sort of  "University/Conservatory Sale" -sponsored
by the local Steinway dealer? What will be the implications and impact of
that on students and normal activities? Or on local piano dealers? Will the
goodwill of local piano dealers of other brands, previously friendly to the
Music School, be undermined because of this purchase? And a key question:
Was this purchase handled through the local Steinway dealer (i.e. with
respect to), or direct with Steinway N.Y.? Was the local dealer circumvented
in any way, or left out of the loop (as often happens with large
institutional purchases?)

(And what about folks like Michael Wathen or David Stanwood? How will their
significant investment in CCM's pianos be affected? Will it simply be
erased, in large part, by this move?)

Will CCM be subject to additional disruptions, in the process of turning the
school into an extension of the local Steinway dealer for the purpose of the
Conservatory sale or other such promotions? Is that another requirement of
this "Partnership"? (similar to programs by Yamaha or Kawai to put pianos
into the Universities and other institutions, and use the institutions'
facilities for their retail activities.) How will Steinway now expect to be
able to use either this purchase, or the Conservatory, to further its
marketing objectives, and what kind of pressure will that put on the
Conservatory?

What about infrastructure? Is Eric being provided the additional support and
budget he needs with this huge influx of new maintenance/prep needs? Or is
most of the emphasis and limelight going to be on new purchase/capital
investment, as it is with many schools? (I am reminded of a case here
locally where a city council decided to allow a developer to build a huge
number of new homes, without also providing that there would be adequate
roads or sewers to service them. The problems were not brought to light
until long after the developer had moved on. )

How will CCM be able to assure that the integrity and continuity of Music
School activities will not be disrupted during this period? (-by, for
example, retailing/marketing/promotional efforts seeking to use the
Conservatory as an adjunct?) What is the true price CCM will be paying for
these pianos (not just in money)?

(It is my experience that those who are set on having things their own way,
and who are mesmerized with their own visions of empire, and conquest,
rarely do environmental impact surveys (unless compelled to).  The legal
phrase "right of eminent domain" comes to mind. -All too often, simply an
excuse to bulldoze one's way through all obstacles in one's path. So many
times, because of the way this is carried out, neither the public, nor those
who will be most affected, are consulted or informed of the true impact or
consequences. The excitement of simply having "a change", or "something new"
is frequently sufficient justification to go ahead with the project.)

Let us be careful what we call good, until time has at least had a fighting
chance to reveal the fruits thereof.

~Kendall Ross Bean
PianoFinders