[CAUT] CCM goes "All Steinway"

Michael Wathen michael.wathen at wapin.com
Sun Nov 23 08:21:21 PST 2008

Hello,

I would like to add my two cents to the discussion, as a former technician
at CCM and inventor of the Wapin. Steinway does what it does best and that
is promote itself.  What happens to innovation when there is a monopoly?
There is no question it will disappear. I am happy for Eric and his success
at CCM but I also know that it means that the 1929 Steinway D is being
mothballed.  For those of you who are unaware, this stellar instrument has
an incredible history that I won't go into here.  This was the first Wapin
concert grand and is still to this day a superior instrument but now it as
well as other Wapin instruments will no longer be available at CCM for
performance. I can see that the faculty's eyes are coated with $$$$$. There
is no way Wapin, and for that matter Stanwood, can compete. Some will veiw
this as a good thing.  For my part I am deeply saddened.

Michael Wathen
Former Piano Tech CCM
Former PTG member 29 years
Presently mathematics high school teacher