[CAUT] CCM goes "All Steinway"

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 21 11:45:08 PST 2008

Eric,

How many technicians at your school?

David Ilvedson, RPT

Pacifica, CA 94044

Original message

From: "Wolfley, Eric \(wolfleel\)"

To: 'caut at ptg.org'

Subject: [CAUT] CCM goes "All Steinway"

Hi All,

Some of you may have already heard the news
Tuesday, the board of trustees at the University of Cincinnati approved a deal with Steinway that will make the Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music an “All Steinway School”. We will be purchasing 165 new pianos for the school all of which will be delivered before next June!  This is the single largest deal in Steinway’s history in terms of number of units purchased. The total price tag is 4.1 million. This deal is on the initiative of our new Dean, Douglas Knehans and is the cornerstone of a new capital campaign and just one of a plethora of sweeping moves he is making to improve CCM’s global image. Here’s a link for the deal
there was also a NY Times article last Tuesday, but I can’t seem to make that link active.

http://www.uc.edu/news/NR.asp?id=9235

I just got back from NYC where we selected the first batch of pianos, 2 D’s and 8 B’s and I was most happy to find the quality of the pianos in the selection room to be excellent
we had no trouble choosing  our pianos. Our first shipment of 27 pianos arrives next week. While the quality of our performance pianos here at CCM has been perceived as excellent  over the years, the age and quality of the pianos in the practice rooms, classrooms and studios has been a challenge. Before this deal, CCM had the largest inventory of Baldwins anywhere in the world I’m sure. The average age of our inventory here before this deal was 35 years so this will be quite an improvement for many years to come. I have no qualms or reservations about the deal
there’s no question the quality level of our inventory is going way up.  I am perfectly aware of the challenges that the next year will pose with all these green pianos but hey, there are worse problems to have. The nature of our jobs here will change dramatically for years to come
much less rebuilding, more tuning, voicing and regulating. I’ll keep you all posted on how things go.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT

Director of Piano Services

College-Conservatory of Music