[CAUT] tone building for impatient pianists

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Nov 21 07:48:07 PST 2008

On Nov 20, 2008, at 8:58 PM, David Love wrote:

> the Steinway 3:1 ratio is
> based on an already diluted solution.  8:1 or 9:1 will be the
> equivalent for
> most off the shelf lacquers.

	Or another way to put it is that they use a formula that is about
3-4% solids. Really pretty weak. I know there are individuals out
there, Nevin being one, who are successful using much more
concentrated formulas. I think it is a question of developing your own
experience trying different things in different situations: it's a
very bad idea to take someone's word as "gospel" and follow it blindly
and deafly. Often the devil is in the details - the particular way of
using needles, the circumstance (venue, taste of customer), the
starting point (eg, how resonant the board is), etc.
	The factory dips full sets of hammers into this 3-4% solids solution
after pressing, before cutting the hammers apart. The set dries before
being cut apart. This makes for stiffer felt for the cutter, meaning
that it is easier to get straight cuts and even hammers. It also makes
stiffer felt for the shaper, who runs each hammer past a drum and/or
stationary belt sander to remove the outermost layer of felt. The
result is "prettier" and, more importantly, consistent hammers,
compared to earlier production. I think these considerations were at
the heart of the decision to change the production process in this
way, ie adding the full dip early in production. BTW, the dipping
solution formula probably varies a bit due to evaporation from hour to
hour and day to day. I'm sure they keep an eye on it, but it isn't
utterly precise.
	The side effect of this is that brand new, out of the box (or
installed in the newly assembled action in the brand new piano)
hammers are already lacquered. In Steinway Academy sessions, soaking
the whole set in lacquer late one afternoon, and filing them next
morning, used to be a basic step. Now that step is eliminated, and it
is a matter of more custom work: probably dosing the top octave or
section pretty heavily, some shoulders here, some crowns there. It
also means that new pianos in the dealer showrooms are somewhat
brighter than before, which is a good thing IMO.
	This doesn't address the original question, which had to do with
getting finished results fast. I believe that the Steinway lacquering
system, together with what are often called "Steinway basement voicing
techniques," was developed precisely for that purpose. I think a
"finished" job can be created more rapidly and with less physical
effort from a raw set of hammers, if you have the techniques down.
More rapidly than the full deep shoulder needling techniques of other
voicing styles. Now as to the precise results and their longevity -
comparing deep shoulder needling of denser hammers with lacquered less
dense hammers, treated with single needle and una corda needling -
there are differences. I think deep shoulder can potentially achieve a
wider range of color, and the result can tend to be longer lasting.
But lacquered hammers can come very close in tonal structure, and can
be touched up pretty rapidly with the right tools and techniques.
	Bottom line, the important recital is the one today. For that
musician, especially. So to say that six months from now the piano
will be great really doesn't cut it. It has to be at least acceptable
all the time, NOW. Yes, I know, that's not always possible, but I
think it is a good thing to keep in mind, a good attitude to have.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu