[CAUT] tone building for impatient pianists

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Nov 21 01:18:26 PST 2008

Hi Folks.

Having gained quite a bit of experience with the lacquer approach to
voicing these past couple years thanks to our good friend Eric
Schandall, I'd like to pipe in a little here.  A couple points right off
that others have stated that I'd like to underline agreement with.

1: The mix needs to be pretty thin on the lacquer side.  Best to add
several times then try to load in a thick solution once.
2: The end concentration of your mix is completely dependent on the
amount of solids in your non thinned lacquer to begin with. Its your job
(responsibility) to find out what that is and mix appropriately.

One has to remember what one is after here... and in a very real sense
this applies to hammers that need needling down as well. One is trying
to create under the strike point a material that basically gets
increasingly hard the deeper one goes in the felt.  At the same time one
needs the hammer to yield somewhat to the impact of the strings...i.e.
it needs some bounce quality no matter how hard it hits the string. A
hammer can most definitely be way too hard directly under the crown 5 mm
deep and beyond, yet ok closer to the surface.  Or it can be too hard at
the upper area and not hard enough below.  Both cases yield their
individual tone results and neither are particularly nice sounding.

With hammers that have been pre-juiced all the more reason for being
careful with your mix, and how much you use.  An appropriately thin mix
if used too much will have a tendancy to wash some of the existing
lacquer deeper into the felt... making the deeper area even harder...
which may not be a good thing.  And once its down in there its a nasty
job indeed to get rid of.

If you are skilled... you can get where you want fairly quickly as Jim B
pointed out... three sessions will usually do the trick.  I like to sand
and mate as I go myself after the first voicing... but whatever.  Both
as much body (fat sound) and attack dynamics are needed in just the
right amounts.  Too much body.. or too little is no good no matter how
good your attack voicing is. Great body voicing without equally great
attack voicing will also yield an unsatisfactory result.

One other point.  Adding lacquer, like deep shoulder needling most
definitely DOES have a significant impact on the sound.  The affect is
quite a bit more subtle but an appropriate lower shoulder support is
necessary for both body and longevity of  any voicing regardless of
approach.  Anyone who does not hear this should spend some time either
deep needling hard hammers or heavily juicing only the lower shoulders
on as many sets of hammers it takes to start noticing the difference.
Too little or too much support limits the dynamic range of the hammers
body or fatness.

Cheers
RicB