[CAUT] drink violation consequences

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Nov 13 14:30:12 PST 2008

We have a practice room area that is card-reader controlled. A
university ID card has to be swiped for access, and the individual
card has to be on the data base for the area. Only students who are
taking certain courses (particularly applied music, but some others as
well) are in the data base, along with faculty/staff.
	Some rooms are keyed, including grand piano rooms. Only piano majors
can get those keys. Percussion has some rooms as well, and there are
some miscellaneous keyed rooms. As well as 25 or so unlocked practice
rooms - but you had to get into the practice area with your card. The
locked rooms are scheduled pretty tightly
	The card reader thing was a response to safety concerns, as homeless
people had set up camp from time to time in a couple rooms, and there
were incidents of one sort or another with vagrants. The whole system
works pretty well. The music secretary handles the ID card database,
and the recital hall manager handles keys (as well as lockers and
other similar things). Keys are actually issued by the lock shop, but
the hall manager gives the student an authorization card to get a key.
And then the name of the student is tracked, and if a key isn't turned
back in when required, the student's account is frozen (meaning
inability to register for classes, no transcripts, etc until the
freeze is cleared).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico