[CAUT] left to right or R to L?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Nov 13 06:50:43 PST 2008

On Nov 12, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> The lower the struts are, the closer to the plane of string tension
> they are, which I'd call a good idea from a structural standpoint.

	Here you are talking about "good plate design," a design in which the
bottom of the struts is close to the plane between hitch and capo, and
there isn't much tolerance. That is one part of the picture. The other
part of the picture is the soundboard and how it moves with humidity.
I see no problem with the scenario that bridge pins are jammed against
struts with an unloaded board, as long as this isn't an accidental
result of having set bearing when the board was dry and at minimum
crown. The word "accidental" being the operative word here. If it is
planned, and that is producing the results you want, great! If you
aren't paying attention and getting results that are all over the
place, well, that's a different matter. Maybe you want results that
are all over the place. ("You" being a generalized word, not directed
at anyone in particular here).
	I've just always thought it would make sense to control humidity/
equilibrium moisture content at the point of production where bearing
is set. In the factories I have visited, that didn't seem to be the
case. Maybe I missed something.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico