[CAUT] left to right or R to L?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Nov 12 21:51:24 PST 2008

>     To my mind, bridge pins hitting struts should wake someone up to ask
> a question or two. That's the point I was trying to make. Now it may
> well be that a particular design philosophy would find that scenario
> acceptable, and that's fine by me.
>
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

And my point is that it isn't a mindless random thing, much
less a bad thing. The lower the struts are, the closer to the
plane of string tension they are, which I'd call a good idea
from a structural standpoint. Bridge pins jammed against the
underside of a strut with the soundboard unloaded, and
clearing after loading with downbearing is a non event after
the fact, and a perfectly reasonable and workable engineering
approach. Steinway has enough generally unacknowledged though
demonstrable design problems without including a non problem
like this on the list.
Ron N