[CAUT] left to right or R to L?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Nov 12 14:16:39 PST 2008

On Nov 12, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> Can someone please explain why this "stresses the soundboard
> properly."
> If I am improperly stressing soundboards, I would like to correct my
> ways.
> Thank you.
> Ed Sutton
>

> The stringing recommendation from Steinway (given decades ago in an
> undated "Parts Price List") is quoted below:
>
> In stringing Steinway Grands [sic], it is best to start at the top
> of the center section and work upwards thru the lower treble section
> and upper treble section to note #88.  Then start at the bottom of
> the center section and work up to the top, then start at note #1 and
> work up to the top of the bass section.  This stresses the
> soundboard properly to afford good working clearances in all cases.
I heard a similar thing some 30 years ago that purported to come from
Steinway. I was told one should bring the strings to tension in
something like this order, or the "soundboard tone" might be killed.
There was a story of how this happened once (someone brought strings
to tension in the wrong order and the piano "was dead"), and the
"consulting tech" lowered all the tension and then re-tensioned in the
correct order, and the piano "came back to life."
	The person who told me this tale said he didn't really believe it. I
don't either. I take it as yet one more fable among the many out
there. I think Ron N. has it right: a practical matter of getting the
soundboard low enough if it happens that bridges are too close to
plate struts. And I have to say that I wonder about whether that
scenario (bridge pins touching or nearly touching struts) would occur
unless somebody had made a mistake that maybe ought to be corrected
before putting strings on. But, hey, I'm just a bystander offering
advice <G>.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico