[CAUT] left to right or R to L?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Nov 12 13:45:58 PST 2008

I'd like to know this too!!

Just so happened that I ran out of #17 wire in the middle, so stopped
where I was and started stringing from the start of the capo section up to
88.  Maybe a nice compromise to all suggested, eh? :>)  I'm not putting
much stress on the wires...just enough to hold the coils from slipping.
Maybe, since this is all askew..I should put on half the bass strings???

Anyone knowing the logistics on this physics would be greatly appreciated.
 Maybe Kent Webb has insight to this.....
Paul

"Ed  Sutton" <ed440 at mindspring.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/12/2008 01:06 PM
Please respond to
Ed  Sutton <ed440 at mindspring.com>; Please respond to
caut at ptg.org

<caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] left to right or R to L?

Can someone please explain why this "stresses the soundboard properly."
If I am improperly stressing soundboards, I would like to correct my ways.
Thank you.
Ed Sutton

The stringing recommendation from Steinway (given decades ago in an
undated "Parts Price List") is quoted below:

In stringing Steinway Grands [sic], it is best to start at the top of the
center section and work upwards thru the lower treble section and upper
treble section to note #88.  Then start at the bottom of the center
section and work up to the top, then start at note #1 and work up to the
top of the bass section.  This stresses the soundboard properly to afford
good working clearances in all cases.

Good advice, I think, although I don't quite adhere to it!

~ Tom McNeil ~
Vermont Piano Restorations

346 Camp Street
Barre, VT 05641
(802) 476-7072

In a message dated 11/12/2008 1:12:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,